Friday, August 16, 2013

Becoming a Published Author

Today is Friday, August 16, 2013. 

The reason this blog post is coming out so late in the day is that I have spent most of my time today working on a nonfiction children's book for a publisher in Minnesota. This is not exactly the way I had envisioned becoming a published author, but since I taught challenged readers for many years, it's right up my alley.  Writing books for struggling readers is not that exciting, but it's certainly challenging, because there is a limit on the number of words they can use in the whole book.  The limits are forcing me to choose my words very carefully, indeed.  

Someday I hope to have other things published.  A book, for sure, and perhaps also some magazine articles.  This job is giving me a great insight into how the book publishing industry works, and it will look good on my resume, whatever else happens.  I'm excited for this opportunity to get into the world of publishing, and I am already looking forward to doing other projects. 

One thing I have noticed recently is that I have started to follow more of a routine. My calendar these days includes more optional or changeable events than set-in-stone ones, but I end up with several things to do each day.  My routine is a little different each weekday, and I am no longer quite as sedentary as I was a few months ago.  I'm spending a whole lot more time on my health now than I was when I was working, and I'm finding that I don't really want to give that up, even to make money.  I guess that shows how my values are changing.  :-)


No comments: