Friday, October 4, 2013

Because I'm Worth It

Photo credit: Linda LeBoutillier / Random Thoughts
Today is Friday, October 4, 2013. 

Yesterday evening I attended a Weight Watchers meeting in which it was announced that one of the members had lost 100 pounds.  We've all been cheering her on, but this was a special day.  When I arrived, her son and daughter were standing at the entrance, giving out these bracelets.  I was told I could have either the pink or the black, or both.  I decided to take both, and realized later that a lot of people at the meeting did the same.  The bracelets were this woman's gift to the people in our Weight Watchers group for supporting her in her weight loss efforts.  She's done a fabulous job, and my hat is truly off to her.  It's taken her a year to do this, and she still has at least 100 pounds left to lose, but I have no doubt that she will do it.  

In just about the same amount of time, I have lost less than 30 pounds, so my loss is probably a bit more "average" than my friend whose weight loss we celebrated.  Still, when you consider that each pound lost is 4 pounds less pressure on your knees, that's a pretty good number. 

"You're worth it" is my friend's motto and mantra, and it's one that is, unfortunately, all too uncommon for those of us who are on the heavy side.  It's hard to love yourself sometimes when you look in the mirror and see a really dumpy body.  It's hard to feel good about yourself when you've just downed a whole bag of chips and your main emotion of the moment is guilt.  Then defensiveness.  Then anger.  Then despair.

It's also hard to lose weight when you are not in the best of health.  For me, long distance power walking is not an option at this point. I'm lucky to be able to walk a couple of blocks very slowly, and I need to take it easy on my hips, knees and ankles.  There's no sense in doing a power walk, then having to spend the next three days in bed waiting for your joints to stop hurting.

Fortunately, there is an aqua exercise class I can go to, and I am strong enough now to lift very light weights to tone my arms a bit.  By next summer, I'd really like to be able to wear sleeveless tops without embarrassment. 

One of my goals was to lose 30 pounds by the end of this month, because I'm planning on taking a trip to visit friends.  I'm within 3 pounds of the goal, now, so mustn't backslide.  I just have to remember that I'm worth it.  These bracelets will help. 

I do not have to down a whole bag of chips, because I'm worth it. 

I do aqua exercise and lift weights because I'm worth it. 

I lose weight to feel better physically, as well as to feel better about myself.... because I'm worth it! :-)

1 comment: